It’s that time of year again. The Con or Bust auction is on, and you can bid to win some seriously fabulous stuff ranging from awesome books to fiction critiques to swag of the highest order. All proceeds benefit the Con or Bust fund which “helps people of color/non-white people attend SFF conventions” by providing financial assistance. If you don’t know why this an important and worthy thing, ask me and i’ll explain it.
Before I get into the links to the stuff you should definitely bid on, I also want to say that if you are a person of color who really wants to attend a specific convention this year but cannot, please do request assistance. You do not have to be financially destitute to ask for or receive assistance. I bolded that because I want to make sure everyone pays attention. There are many reasons why you may not be able to attend a con (including that you are budgeting for other, less expensive for you cons) but really want to because it could be supremely beneficial for whatever reason. You are totally allowed to request money, so please do. The whole reason Con or Bust exists is so that the community benefits from your presence at cons as attendees, audience members, programming participants, and volunteers.
With that out of the way, I wish to call your attention to the following awesome auction lots that you should totally bid on!
Fancy Fan Signed by Star Trek’s Garrett Wang
Fancy Fan Signed by BSG’s Edward James Olmos
Yes, that is the type of fan I usually carry. It has the dragon design on the other side, but what you really should care about is that these fans were actually touched by Olmos and Wang. The DNA is still on them!
I also put up collections of magazine back issues that I no longer need (but are too good to just toss) that includes some very pretty issues of Weird Tales and all of the print issues of Fantasy Magazine. Check them out here.
Here are some other great auctions not submitted by me:
- The Freedom Maze by Delia Sherman (signed) <– Fabulous book of awesomeness you should buy, anyway, but this one is signed so it’s better.
- Critique of your novel by Delia Sherman <– So even better than that is getting an in-depth crit from Delia herself. I can tell you that she’s a very insightful critiquer.
- Custom Jewelry by Elise Matthesen, made before your eyes <– If you love the shiny, you WANT this. Elise is amazing.
- Autographed Mark Reads Harry Potter set <– If you do not know the awesomeness of Mark Reads, please go get a taste and then run over to get this because the hilarity… oh, the hilarity.
- Unfold a Hidden Corner of the Spiritwalker Universe <– Whaaaaaat! Kate Elliott sez “I will write a 1500-3000 word (that’s about 5 – 8 pages) story, drabble, essay, fake journal entry, descriptive passage, scene, fanfic, set of vignettes, or other form of your choice, set in the Spiritwalker universe, to a prompt(s) of your choosing.” Do iiiitttttt
- Signed ARC of The Girls at the Kingfisher Club by Genevieve Valentine <– Haven’t read this yet but it’s Genevieve. Also, 12 Dancing Princesses in the 1920s? Yes, please.
- Handspun, Handwoven Scarf <– Handmade stuff is awesome and scarves are now a necessity no matter where you live, apparently…
- Custom-made Police Box bag or laptop/iPad case <– That thing is hella cute
- Fiction critique (up to 10,000 words) by Yoon Ha Lee <– Another author you really, really should want reading and evaluating your work.